Love this website? Give us a “like”
The square knot (SK) is everywhere in hemp jewelry so this is a definite need-to-know.
Before you can make an SK, you need to know how to make a LHK and a RHK.
Click here to review instructions for making an HK
Step by Step
An SK is simply 2 HK’s: LHK, and a RHK. Unless specified, it doesn’t matter which one you begin with – the important thing is that they alternate. I’m left-handed, so I always start with a LHK, but you can start with whichever you are most comfortable.
- Make an HK. In the diagram below (Fig. 4), I started with a LHK.
- Take the right knotter (strand #1), and bring it across the two fillers and the left knotter (strands 2, 3, and 4) as shown below, making sure to form a loop at the right. (Fig. 4)
- Bring the left knotter (strand 4) over strand 1, under the filler cords (the blue ones), and up through the loop made by strand 1. (Fig. 5)
- Tighten and you’re done.
- The diagrams above illustrate a LSK. To make a RSK, follow the instructions above starting with a RHK instead of a LHK.
- A sennet (or sinnet) of SK’s produces a flat chain or length. To make your work spiral, make a sennet of HK’s.
Did you enjoy this article? Please give it a “like” to let us know ~Christine