Love this website? Give us a “like”
Here are instructions for making an LH over a piece of dowelling:
- Fold your length of hemp twine or other cord in half at the center.
- Take the fold and slide it over the dowelling and pull it down a bit so that you can see the loop below the dowelling as in Fig. 1.
- Take the two ends of your cord and pass them through the loop made by the fold of the cord as in Fig. 2
- Pull tight, and you have just made 1 LH. It should look like Fig.3
How To Use the LH to Attach One Half of a Clasp
To attach one half of a clasp, you follow the exact same method as described above, except instead of folding the cord over a dowel, you slip the end through the hole of the clasp.
Here’s what you do step by step:
- Find the centre of your cord or twine and fold in half as in step 1 above.
- Take the fold and string it through the hold of the clasp an inch or so. You will have a loop similar to Fig. 2 above.
- Take the two ends of the cord or twine and slip them through the loop.
- Pull tight.
Note: You can use a lark’s head knot to attach a clasp at the start of a project only. To attach the other end of the clasp you’ll need to choose a different attachment method.